Plaque will remember QPR formation Posted by Juliet Eysenck on Jun 1, 11
QUEEN'S PARK: A plaque is set to be put at St Jude's Hall, in Ilbert Street, to commemorate the formation of Queen's[/b] Park Rangers football club in 1886.
The club formed as the amalgamation of two boys' club teams, Christ Church Rangers and St Jude's Institute.
The church hall was used as the new club's headquarters but as the team improved its standing and status within the London clubs, some felt a move to professionalism was needed.
In December 1898, a meeting was held for all club members in St Jude's Hall to discuss the move and a vote resulted in the club turning professional for the start of the 1899/00 season, when they joined the Southern League.
The club's administration headquarters then become the secretary's home address in nearby Lancefield Street, ending the club's 14-year association with St Jude's. A plaque, sponsored by QPR in the Community Trust, is due to be put up at the hall in July.
As opposed to the Official Site's "Potted History of QPR" (which needs updating)
"The Early Days... Queens Park Rangers were formed in 1882 by the old boys of Droop Street Board School. The boys were members of the St Jude's Institute as they used this as the club headquarters, and in the early days were known as St Judes. They obtained the name of Queens Park Rangers when they merged with a team called Christchurch Rangers in 1886. They called themselves Queens Park Rangers because most of the players came from the district of Queens Park...."